Thursday, January 7, 2010

Any non dairy recipes for breakfast and dinner?

I recently found out my ten month old son is allergic to all dairy. I love cooking and tried substituting soy milk in all my daily recipes but my family is now hating my cooking. Does anyone know any tricks to add to my Aunt Jemima, Jiffy, Betty Crocker mixes to help make it taste betterAny non dairy recipes for breakfast and dinner?
being lactose intolerant I've found that it's easier to make my own batters from scratch (there is still powdered milk in the batters). I use lactose free milk or almond milk in place of regular milk as I don't like the taste of soy. I also add dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg and/or vanilla.





My kids like having fresh blueberries or dried cranberries in their pancakes too--but they are older than 10 months, so wait a while before trying that!Any non dairy recipes for breakfast and dinner?
First off, you will need to read ingredient labels very carefully to make sure they don't contain powdered dairy. Many of the mixes you mention DO contain dairy. You can buy rice, almond, oat, and other grain ';milks';, but I find making them homemade is much better, and less expensive. Oat milk makes a wonderful, creamy ';milk';, and you can sweeten it just a touch with agave nectar to make it taste more like real milk. Commercial milk is LOADED with growth hormones, steroids, antibiotics, pesticide residues, and other nasty stuff that was fed to the animal, and passes in to the milk. Check with your pediatrician, first, but you might also try goat milk. It is often more easily tolerated than cows milk. I am HIGHLY allergic to commercial dairy, but I do great with organic, raw milk fresh from my own cows. I make butter, kefir, yogurt, cheese and other things with it, and have no issues at all. It might be something you want to look in to. The most important thing is not making your little guy feel like he is causing problems-the WHOLE ENTIRE family needs to get on board with his allergy, and get used to it. The garbage in regular milk is no good for them, either! Good luck.
Potato Pancakes





8 medium red potatoes, with peel, shredded


1 large sweet onion, minced


3 eggs, lightly beaten


3 tablespoons all-purpose flour


1/2 teaspoon baking powder


1 tablespoon dried rosemary


1 tablespoon salt


2 teaspoons ground black pepper


1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice


2 tablespoons vegetable oil





In a large bowl, mix the red potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, baking powder, rosemary, salt, pepper, and lime juice.


Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop about 2/3 cup at a time of the potato mixture into the skillet, and press down with a spatula into a pancake shape. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.





`````````````````````````````````
In addition to trying rice milk you could also try almond milk, a personal fave. I'm not sure how well it holds up in cooking but it tastes great alone, so I image it would taste good in cooking as well.
I would use Rice Dream instead of soy milk. Soy milk has a really bad flavor but Rice Dream tastes just like milk. You can find it usually in the baking aisle in blue containers.
If he's just 10 months old he's still on baby food isn't he? If it's just a lactose intolerance, you can buy lactose free milk in the dairy aisle. All those mixes you named can be made with water.
try using water, sugar and essences.

No comments:

Post a Comment